YellowShield Legislation and Regulations
All industrial, commercial or institutional sites who are storing oil in either 205 litre drums, intermediate bulk containers (IBC's) or fixed tanks must comply with the following regulations:
- In England and Wales – Control of Pollution (Oil Storage) ( England ) 2001.
- In Scotland – The Water Environment (Oil Storage) ( Scotland ) 2006.
ADR and ADR Approval
ADR approval required for vehicles and containers which transport over 3,000 cubic metres of dangerous or hazardous liquids, as well as IBCs which contain no more than 3,000 litres of dangerous or hazardous liquids. To read more click here: ADR and ADR Approval for Vehicles and IBCs.
Environment Agency Guidelines
The Environment Agency is working with the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) and the Environment and Heritage Service in Northern Ireland, to produce of a range of Pollution Prevention Guidance Notes (PPGs). Each PPG is targeted at a particular industrial sector or activity and gives advice on the law and good environmental practice.
Some useful PPG's can be accessed here:
- PPG 1 General guide to the Prevention of Pollution.
A basic introduction to pollution prevention. This guidance signposts to other PPGs and publications.
- PPG 2 Above Ground Oil Storage Tanks.
To help you prevent pollution from above ground oil storage tanks and comply with the law (excludes oil refineries and distribution depots). This version was produced in Feb 2004. The PPG will be updated to include The Water Environment (Oil Storage)(Scotland) Regs 2006, available early 2007.
- PPG 3 Use and design of oil separators in surface water drainage systems.
To help you decide if you need an oil separator at your site and , if so, what size and type of separator is appropriate. This version published April 2006.
- PPG 5 Works in, near or liable to affect water courses.
How to avoid pollution when working in or near watercourses. This is guidance is being reviewed, new version expected spring 2007.
- PPG 6 Working at construction and demolition sites.
Pollution prevention information for the construction and demolition industry. This guidance is being reviewed, new version expected spring 2007.
- PPG 7 Refuelling facilities.
To help you prevent pollution from refuelling facilities of all sizes. This version published Aug 2004.
- PPG 8 Safe storage and disposal of used oil.
To help you prevent pollution when storing and disposing of used oils and applies to a single engine oil change and large industrial users. This version published Feb 2004.
- PPG 17 Dairies and other milk handling operations.
Guidelines for those who design and operate dairies and other milk and milk product handling operations
- PPG 19 Garages and Vehicle Service Centres.
Pollution prevention advice if you run or work in a garage and vehicle service centre.
The Environment Agency also offers 10 point guidelines for is your site right?